How to make a Hanji lamp .....
I had a query this week from someone who doesn't live in Korea anymore but he's wanting to know how to make this lamp. So in case anyone else was wondering, it's quite a simple process which I will share with you.
- Get a piece of perspex, or a very sturdy plastic sheet around 2 - 3mm thick and cut into 4 equal sizes, depending on the size of the lamp you want to make.
- Glue the sides together with an instant glue to make a perfect square and being careful not to get the glue outside of the joins or on your fingers.
- Paper the perspex using one whole piece to minimize the joins in the paper.
- Leave to dry.
- Cut a base out of 3mm thick cardboard so the sides fit into it and it has a small plinth. (Don't forget to put the hole in the base for the electrical fittings).
- Cut small strips of cardboard for around the outside. One with a hole in it for the electric cord to come out of.
- Cover the strips of cardboard with different coloured papers.
- Glue the strips onto the base as shown ensuring all the cardboard is covered.
- Cut a top out of either cardboard or perspex with a large enough hole, or square in the top to be able to get your hand in and change the light bulb.
- Glue it to the top of the lamp.
- Paper the top.
- Finish off with strips of paper around the join at the top.