Skip to main content

Hanji Floor lamp construction .......


My latest project has been to make a large lamp but also to incorporate a few new techniques that I haven't used before.  I spoke briefly about this in a previous blog but I'd just like to add some more details for those who may be interested in working on a project like this themselves.

Making the lamp was relatively easy as I just doubled the measurements of the large lamp instructions that I've already made up and added a few other details to strengthen the sides and improve the placement of the glass.

I'm restricted by the 70 x 100 cm dimensions of the cardboard I can get here but even still, that allows me to make something of a reasonable size.

The side panels were cut out of the 70 cm depth of the cardboard. I believe in some places you can get cardboard in larger sheets or custom made which I may need to look into in the future if I want to make anything too much larger.

The construction went together really well but then I needed to decide what I was going to do to decorate the lamp.  This is often the most difficult part about making something as there are so many different coloured Hanji papers to choose from, a variety of patterns you can place on it and other things you could do to enhance it's beauty.  I remember my Korean Hanji teacher telling me once that sometimes she takes up to a week to decide on what she's going to do.  

Inspiration - Hanji Tea table and Coffee table
After a lot of ideas going around in my head I finally came to a decision. I'd made a small tea table many years ago and I've always liked the combination of colours, textures and designs so eventually I looked to incorporate that style of decoration into the lamp.

In a project of this size I needed a lot of cardboard and paper so luckily I'd just received a new shipment of paper so I had a good supply of Hanji materials to choose from.


I used a black paper which was then bleached to get the mottled brown effect that looks like wood.   You can buy this paper already bleached in Korea but unfortunately I didn't have any of that so I needed to make my own. It's sometimes frustrating that you can't replicate colours when using this technique due to the different composition of the Hanji paper and different batches tend to reveal various shades of brown but it certainly adds a uniqueness to every piece that I make.



Once the lamp was constructed and papered I wanted to try making flowers out of different layers of Hanji paper. As I mentioned before, I've only ever  seen this done in Korea at OM's studio in Seoul and I wanted to try it for myself.  After a lot of research and trialling of styles I made up a collection of flowers and placed them onto the lamp.  The beauty of doing this is that when the light shines through the glass the different layers are revealed and the flowers take on a whole new dimension.  I didn't want to overdo it so the placement of the right amount of flowers was important to me.



It was finished off with a border around the bottom of the lamp and the same design was duplicated on the lid so that it showed the connection between the two pieces.  I then cut out a crane  design to finish off the lid.

The next challenge was to add the light fitting itself and as I wanted the light to radiate from the centre of the lamp and not just from the bottom, which would have given the lamp an uneven glow, I needed it to sit about halfway up. I eventually found a fitting that sits on a rod and is about 20 cms high. This is ideal and it radiates an even amount of light  throughout the height of the lamp.

The finished lamp can be used as a floor lamp because of its size but as my floor space is limited I've put it on a small side table in my living room for now and it certainly makes a statement in the room.

This was a fun project which I hope to replicate and improve on in the future.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lotus symbol in Korean culture .....

In traditional Korean Hanji art you can see many different designs of plants, animals, letters and insects. I'm sure you've wondered what they all symbolise as they are repeated so often and in many different ways.  In this post I just want to take a brief look at the lotus plant and what it symbolises for the Korean people. I've used this design on a few articles but I never really knew the full meaning of what it represented until I started doing some research for my book.  Even though many of us aren't Korean we can still use these designs and in so doing, translate a deeper meaning to our articles. Here are a just a few of my favourites from the easiest to the more difficult to cut out.                         The lotus flower symbolises creation, birth, liveability and reproduction and therefore it's one of the most  important symbols in both Korean culture and its traditional religions. In both Confucianism and Buddhism

The Buddhist symbol, Hanji & Korean culture ....

When selecting designs for my Hanji pieces I tend to make stylistic choices as to what will look best on each piece but the Korean designs all have very deep symbolic meanings.  None more than the Buddhist swastika (manja) design. ‘Manja’ (만, Man is “卍” and 만자, Manja literally means “letter Man”) is also called Srivatsalksana in Sanskrit.  It is one of the thirty-two (32) marks of excellence of the Buddha and is said to exist on his hands, feet, hair and waist.                         For those of us in the West this is often confused with the German Nazi swastika symbol but in fact it's been  around for about three thousand years.  The swastika is an equilateral cross with arms bent at right angles and all in the same direction, usually to the right, or clockwise. It's a symbol of prosperity and good fortune and it originally represented the revolving sun, fire, or life. The word swastika is derived from the Sanskrit swastika which means, "conducive to well

Online Hanji paper store, in English .....

I'm really pleased to be able to share with you this website where you can order a variety of Hanji papers from Korea and it's all in English !!!  The store is based in Daejon, Korea.   HAMINBRIDGE ( Thehanji ) was established by Moonyang Park in 1983. It's a family owned 2nd generation  business and they have a factory in Junju.  They also have a factory in China where some of the paper is made. The website is at www. thehanji.com and it provides a selection of specialty Hanji paper (Korean paper) and products.   I ordered some papers from them recently  to see what it was like and they were extremely efficient in dealing with  the order and it was here in the UAE within 5 days so I was really impressed. The prices were good and they even have some on special, the paper is beautiful and the ease of ordering was amazing.   They do sell rolls of paper, traditional papers and lanterns but overall I did think the range was a bit limited for what I wa