Skip to main content

Chinese character embossing ......

'What cardboard shall I use for the cutouts'? 'How thick should the cardboard be'? 'What knife shall I use'? 'What Hanji paper shall I cover it with'? and most importantly, 'What will it look like?
These were some of the questions going through my mind as I began a new project this weekend.


For many years I've been admiring  pieces of furniture in Hanji that display an embossed effect. I first saw some at the Jeonju Hanji Festival back in 2001 and I loved the subtle effect that it gives to a piece and have been curious as to to how it's done. I've also seen it in some Korean  Hanji books  and It looked so simple and so I thought it  was  time to give it a try.

I'd made up a tall Umbrella stand and I decided it was a good base on which to apply this technique.

The first challenge was deciding what cardboard to use for the cutouts so I went with 1mm thick and cut out the designs. This was quite a challenge to say the least but I soon got the hang of it and, apart from the fact that you can only cut one at a time and not 3 or 4 as you do it paper, I soon finished the cutouts that I wanted. 

I experimented with what knife to use and started off with the small knife I normally use for paper cutouts but I soon found out that it wasn't strong enough and the blades broke really easily so I reverted to the craft knife which did an OK job. There may be a better knife but I'll research that further for future projects.  

In the end I actually used 2 different types of cardboard, one corrugated and the other compressed.  I found that the corrugated board was easier to cut than the compressed board.

Choosing a paper was the next challenge.  I'm unaware of any special paper that might be used so I went with a normal thickness plain mulberry paper. I wet the paper and cardboard thoroughly before putting them together, molding the paper into the shape of the Chinese characters. I was very much aware that too much pressure and repitition of movements could have torn the paper and I would have had to start all over again so I was really careful but I wanted to applied enough pressure to get the required effect.


As the paper has dried I've noticed that it's shrunk a little and pulled up from the embossed designs.  I've also noticed that the corrugated cardboard has compressed slightly as the paper has dried giving a smoother outline to the design whereas the compressed cardboard hasn't compressed any further and it's given the cutout much sharper lines. To compensate for the shrinkage I've been re wetting the paper and remolding the designs.  Each time I do it it's looking a little better.


I wonder how it's done in Korea? For me, It's a work in progress so I'll keep you informed as to how it's going and post pictures of the completed article when I'm happy with the results.

It may not be perfect but I hope to continue experimenting with different papers, cardboard and types of knives until I get the results I'm looking for....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lotus symbol in Korean culture .....

In traditional Korean Hanji art you can see many different designs of plants, animals, letters and insects. I'm sure you've wondered what they all symbolise as they are repeated so often and in many different ways.  In this post I just want to take a brief look at the lotus plant and what it symbolises for the Korean people. I've used this design on a few articles but I never really knew the full meaning of what it represented until I started doing some research for my book.  Even though many of us aren't Korean we can still use these designs and in so doing, translate a deeper meaning to our articles. Here are a just a few of my favourites from the easiest to the more difficult to cut out.                         The lotus flower symbolises creation, birth, liveability and reproduction and therefore it's one of the most  important symbols in both Korean culture and its traditional religions. In both Confucianism and Buddhism

The Buddhist symbol, Hanji & Korean culture ....

When selecting designs for my Hanji pieces I tend to make stylistic choices as to what will look best on each piece but the Korean designs all have very deep symbolic meanings.  None more than the Buddhist swastika (manja) design. ‘Manja’ (만, Man is “卍” and 만자, Manja literally means “letter Man”) is also called Srivatsalksana in Sanskrit.  It is one of the thirty-two (32) marks of excellence of the Buddha and is said to exist on his hands, feet, hair and waist.                         For those of us in the West this is often confused with the German Nazi swastika symbol but in fact it's been  around for about three thousand years.  The swastika is an equilateral cross with arms bent at right angles and all in the same direction, usually to the right, or clockwise. It's a symbol of prosperity and good fortune and it originally represented the revolving sun, fire, or life. The word swastika is derived from the Sanskrit swastika which means, "conducive to well

Online Hanji paper store, in English .....

I'm really pleased to be able to share with you this website where you can order a variety of Hanji papers from Korea and it's all in English !!!  The store is based in Daejon, Korea.   HAMINBRIDGE ( Thehanji ) was established by Moonyang Park in 1983. It's a family owned 2nd generation  business and they have a factory in Junju.  They also have a factory in China where some of the paper is made. The website is at www. thehanji.com and it provides a selection of specialty Hanji paper (Korean paper) and products.   I ordered some papers from them recently  to see what it was like and they were extremely efficient in dealing with  the order and it was here in the UAE within 5 days so I was really impressed. The prices were good and they even have some on special, the paper is beautiful and the ease of ordering was amazing.   They do sell rolls of paper, traditional papers and lanterns but overall I did think the range was a bit limited for what I wa