Sunday, January 5, 2014

Hanji Cabinet ....

My latest project is to design worksheets on how to construct this cabinet so that it's easy for my students to use.  

I've found that writing down instructions are never as easy to simplify as you'd think but, they're so important to get right as poor instructions and therefore bad construction of an article can ruin a project. In my experience it seems that it doesn't matter how interesting the decoration is that I put on it, if the structure isn't right, it comes back to haunt me. 



I made this cabinet in Korea about 12 years ago when I attended some classes with my Korean Hanji teacher and I was taught to cut the design out of cardboard, piece it together, paper and decorate it. It took in total around 3 months to make from start to finish, mainly because of the intricate details in the cutouts but, with the hands on guidance of my teacher it came together relatively easily. 

Now I find myself revisiting those lessons so that I can pass on instructions to my students.  It's been an interesting process and I've even found the very sparsely worded and poorly detailed worksheet I was given  and wonder how on earth I ever followed them !! 



I've had the Korean translated and still it makes little sense but fortunately I've been able to recollect enough of what I did, and in which particular order, to design my own English version of the instructions.

When designing worksheets I test them out first to make sure they work and I must say I'm pretty pleased with how it's going. I'm looking forward to seeing the end result and how my students rise to the challenge of this new project. I'll post more pictures and comments on this project in the coming weeks ..



No comments:

Post a Comment