Skip to main content

100th Hanji post ..........

Well this is a momentous occasion when I can actually say this is my 100th blog post !!!  

Who would have thought that there would be so much interest in Hanji and its Art.  Over the last 18 months it's seen nearly 20,000 visits and I've had numerous emails asking for help in how to get paper supplies both in, and outside of Korea, questions on where to go for lessons, how to make various household articles and I've even been asked by a western couple how to use Hanji at their wedding in Korea. 

I'm delighted that I've been able to help so many people and that I've had the opportunity to explore this art even further than I thought I could.  

I'm learning new things all the time and as I move forward it's a bit of self indulgence to take the time to reflect on where it all began a few years ago. At that time making articles out of Hanji was just a hobby that I enjoyed, but the more I worked with the paper the more I became enthralled at its amazing qualities and the way it molds to the cardboard when wet and yet it's so strong, fresh and vibrant when it's dry. I had a few papers I'd bought back from Korea but I was beginning to want to find more and I was finding it difficult to source.

At that time my friends and I were having craft evenings every week to give us a break from work related activities and to satisfy our creative instincts. One day I asked if they wanted to try Hanji.  Well they really enjoyed it as a craft that was different from anything they'd ever done, extremely creative and the pieces they made were useful. They are now hooked on it so much so that now, nearly 4 years later, they are all still doing Hanji !!

I looked into ways of sourcing more paper and supplies but the language barrier between myself and the Korean companies was a stumbling block. Today I am pleased that I have discovered enough contacts both overseas and locally to keep me well stocked and my passion has grown with it.

I've now collected as many books as I can find on Hanji and Korean designs (there are still a few in the post), I'm researching and planning to write a book in English on Korean Hanji, which will include many aspects of the craft and also patterns for making some articles.  I'm holding more formal and structured Hanji classes, my new studio is now almost completed and this weekend it'll be officially opened and, last but by no means least, my wonderful students are coming back to do more and more projects.

Thank you to everyone who's supported me throughout this ongoing craft adventure and I hope to be able to continue my journey with you for many years to come.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lotus symbol in Korean culture .....

In traditional Korean Hanji art you can see many different designs of plants, animals, letters and insects. I'm sure you've wondered what they all symbolise as they are repeated so often and in many different ways.  In this post I just want to take a brief look at the lotus plant and what it symbolises for the Korean people. I've used this design on a few articles but I never really knew the full meaning of what it represented until I started doing some research for my book.  Even though many of us aren't Korean we can still use these designs and in so doing, translate a deeper meaning to our articles. Here are a just a few of my favourites from the easiest to the more difficult to cut out.                         The lotus flower symbolises creation, birth, liveability and reproduction and therefore it's one of the most  important symbols in both Korean culture and its traditional religions. In both Confucianism and Buddhism

The Buddhist symbol, Hanji & Korean culture ....

When selecting designs for my Hanji pieces I tend to make stylistic choices as to what will look best on each piece but the Korean designs all have very deep symbolic meanings.  None more than the Buddhist swastika (manja) design. ‘Manja’ (만, Man is “卍” and 만자, Manja literally means “letter Man”) is also called Srivatsalksana in Sanskrit.  It is one of the thirty-two (32) marks of excellence of the Buddha and is said to exist on his hands, feet, hair and waist.                         For those of us in the West this is often confused with the German Nazi swastika symbol but in fact it's been  around for about three thousand years.  The swastika is an equilateral cross with arms bent at right angles and all in the same direction, usually to the right, or clockwise. It's a symbol of prosperity and good fortune and it originally represented the revolving sun, fire, or life. The word swastika is derived from the Sanskrit swastika which means, "conducive to well

Online Hanji paper store, in English .....

I'm really pleased to be able to share with you this website where you can order a variety of Hanji papers from Korea and it's all in English !!!  The store is based in Daejon, Korea.   HAMINBRIDGE ( Thehanji ) was established by Moonyang Park in 1983. It's a family owned 2nd generation  business and they have a factory in Junju.  They also have a factory in China where some of the paper is made. The website is at www. thehanji.com and it provides a selection of specialty Hanji paper (Korean paper) and products.   I ordered some papers from them recently  to see what it was like and they were extremely efficient in dealing with  the order and it was here in the UAE within 5 days so I was really impressed. The prices were good and they even have some on special, the paper is beautiful and the ease of ordering was amazing.   They do sell rolls of paper, traditional papers and lanterns but overall I did think the range was a bit limited for what I wa